The Mercury Problem
Dental amalgam fillings are still used in the United Kingdom and a number of other countries. Often called “silver fillings,” all dental amalgams are actually made of 45-55% elemental mercury. Mercury is toxic, and this poison is recognized as a chemical of major concern because it poses a dangerous threat to public health. Mercury accumulates in the body, and any amount of mercury exposure should be considered hazardous.The use of mercury in dental amalgam fillings can harm humans, and dental mercury released into the environment can cause long-lasting damage.
Mercury vapour is odourless, colourless, tasteless and toxic, but it
casts a shadow in black light. This dramatic video of mercury vapour
out-gassing from a “silver amalgam” dental filling has outraged the
world since it was first demonstrated at an IAOMT meeting in 1995. See
it for yourself: